Thursday, November 01, 2012

Reflections from All Hallow's Eve ...

The yard was decorated. The weather was grim. And yet the kids came in droves ... we had over 100 trick'r'treaters at our door ranging in age from wee ones in mom's arms through the teenagers who threw on a hat and carried their knapsack with room for candy amid their binders and notebooks from school.

All in all, it was a good night, with lots of adorable costumes, excited children, and more than a few chuckles.

It was a good ending to my birthday ...

I began the day not expecting much - I seldom due ... long ago I developed an Eeyore like approach to my birthday because it never seemed to be a big deal to anyone, and I formed a wall of self-defense that minimized my disappointment ...

But yesterday turned out ok. Not great, but definitely not bad.

I got unexpected phone calls from friends near and far. I had visits and coversations with folks I hadn't expected to bump into. And I was humbly surprised by gestures of kindness and care offered by folks in my circle of family and friends.

Noahkila created a marvelous dinner of homemade pasta in an alfredo sauce. Ms H tried her hands at a spooktacular cake that didn't turn out quite as planned, but was nonetheless delicious in a wonderfully monstrous way. And others offered gestures and words of kindness that helped dispell the dreary mood I was in ... as I've said, it WAS a good day, and for that I am thankful and appreciative.

I have a good circle of family and friends - and for that I am humbly grateful!!

Shalom to one and all ...

No comments: