Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Reflections on Silence ...


There must be something in the air ...

This morning as I sat in the quiet of the morning, I watched the tendrils of steam rise from my coffee and float upwards my mind wandered to think about the prayer concerns that are rolling over and through our community right now ... too many souls have been lost for our comfort ... illness and other challenges gripping some of our blessed saints ... worries about health, well being and a myriad of other concerns and stresses for neighbours and members of our circle ...

In the quiet of the morning faces and names and the crises large and small they are facing floated through my heart and mind as I watched the vapours rise and dissipate from my coffee mug.

It struck me as I sat in the quiet, how prayer is often like those weaving, dancing and floating vapours ... it is not always a solid thing, but often is a subtle tenuous thing that we stumble over and find ourselves involved in without even realizing it ... as I thought about the faces and the names of those around me who need and deserve to be remembered in prayer I suddenly found myself deeply involved in a prayerful conversation ...

In the quiet of the morning I didn't set out to find God's presence or God's Holiness, but I suddenly found myself standing there feeling the Holy Fullness of God's presence and care ... the faces and names drifted upwards and the concern and worry were no longer mine alone to bear.

Quietly my prayers were offered and heard and answered ... wordlessly the gift of Holiness was found, experienced, shared and celebrated ... sometimes the gift of Holiness arrives quietly and envelopes us without our realizing it ...

... in the quiet of the morning, my prayers were wordlessly offered, quietly heard, and wordlessly answered.

The gift of silence sometimes is the very presence of God offered in abundance.

(click here to share the prayer for today)

No comments: