Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Good Bye my friend ...

Today started with a "disturbance in the force" for lack of a better word ... I wanted to go to Stratford but something was telling me not to go ... so, I went and got a coffee and drove to Owen Sound instead ... I stopped to chat with a colleague and friend along the way, and as I got back into the car I got a text telling me that Indigo Sweetwater, a friend, a mentor and an incredible person had died ...

Indigo and I didn't always see eye to eye, and her propensity to tell it like she saw it, and say what was on her mind regardless of the consequences was at times uncomfortable, but her counsel was always timely, seldom wrong and usually ignored at one's peril ... she was above all else and amazing friend.

My strongest memory of her was from our time in Bella Coola while she was serving as the community health nurse on reserve ... she would stroll in the back door with panache saying I'm here for lunch darling!! What are we having?"

That was how Indigo lived her life ... on her terms, and without apology. And you had to love her for it ... actually you didn't have to love her for it ... she didn't care one way or another - she didn't care if you liked her or not ... she liked herself and that was ALL she needed ... that and her family, especially her partner David ... who is missing her terribly today.

I can't even begin to put into words the sorrow I feel today at learning that Indigo is gone ... on one level it simply adds to the losses I've experienced in recent weeks, but on another level, this is simply too much to bear ... Indigo was an amazing person, an awesome nurse, and an incredible friend ... she will be missed by her son Yancey, her partner David and a circle of friends that stretches far and wide ...

Rest in peace my friend ... today my tears are for you and the end of an incredible legacy that you've left those of us blessed to know and love you ... Good Bye Indigo - you WILL be missed !

For another tribute to this amazing woman -(click here) The Blog 'The House' has two entries about Indigo ...

1 comment:

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

I love how you describe Indigo here! What a woman.

Thanks for the message on my blog. I am amazed at how many lives she has touched!

Kara