Sunday, February 20, 2011

One breath at a time ...

Yesterday Noahkila, my cousin Paul and I went to the Toronto Car Show ... we spent several hours wandering around looking at cars, getting in and out of them, and generally having a good time ... it was a much needed, and even more appreciated distraction ... and it was just plain fun.

I spent time at the Honda display checking out the 2012 Ridgelines ... they aren't much different than my lovely 2008, but it was fun to look at the small and subtle differences. Along the way, I think I convinced an Asian gentleman that a Ridgeline is a good vehicle ... our conversation began when I opened the tailgate from the side and swung it out, then closed and opened it the way a tailgate is supposed to open on a pick up ... he stood there for a moment and said "How did you do that?"

I then showed him the way the tail gate opens in two directions, and began showing him other features like the trunk UNDER the truck box ... he kept nodding and then asked me if I worked for Honda ... I replied, "No, just a happy Honda driver ..."

When I told him I drove a Ridgeline we started talking about how they handle, what they are like in snow, and whether they drive like a truck or a car ... I offered him my observations and comments and at the end he nodded, bowed slightly and thanked me then said - "They should hire you as a sales man, you know these trucks and you've convinced me to think about buying one ... thank you."

I walked away to find Noahkila and Paul laughing ...

The highlight for me though, was a conversation standing beside a 68 Camaro on display with dozens of other Firebirds and Camaros ... we talked about restoring old cars and I shared that my brother had a 67 Firebird Convertible that now needed to be cleaned and worked on to bring it back to its glory days ... he told me about places to enquire, and shared that he was fixing up a 69 Camaro because losing his own brother suddenly made him realize that toys like Camaros and Firebirds need to be enjoyed ... a sentiment I agreed with ... as we talked I felt a stirring within me that confirmed an earlier decision I had made to keep and restore Scott's Firebird ... Noahkila and I talked about even taking it to cruise nights and shows and displaying it as "Scott's car" ...

Then we stepped into another corner of the Camaro display and there was a 68 Firebird Convertible (the red one above) ... as I snapped a picture of it (and a few more besides), I knew I have to get Scott's beautiful Firebird back, not only on the road, but for showing ... he loved that car, and there are many stories connected to it ... and it would be a rolling memorial to him and his life ... and one day I would love to have his Firebird sitting in a display like the one at the Car Show with a sign beside it saying "Scott's Firebird" with a story of who he was and what this car meant to him ... and to me.

This morning I woke up feeling an ache at the thought that both Mom and Scott are gone, but I also know they are not very far away ... if my faith, and my journey has taught me nothing else, it has taught me that death is merely the turning of the page, and the start of a new chapter in their lives and mine ...

I miss them ... but I will never stop loving them ...

1 comment:

betty-NZ said...

A '67 Firebird is mu dream car!!!**droool**