Saturday, November 20, 2010

My study ...


A long time ago, one of my mentors and inspirations in ministry used to neatly, and carefully clip quotations and passages out of books he was reading to save them for posterity, or future use ... whichever came first ... in time, a couple of his books made their way into my library, and every time I encounter the void in the middle of a page in the midst of a book, I think of Ross and smile at the thought that somewhere this paragraph was dubbed valuable and was dutifully clipped and saved for a sermon, or an article or some creative expression that flowed from his life and ministry ...

The biggest impact Ross had on my life was a passion for books ... I still remember the very first book he gave me ... it is sitting on the shelf in my study, and every time I catch a glimpse of it, I think of him and the collection he and that single tome started.

This past week I've been reading the book "The Parboiled Pastor" by Steven McKinley and found within it, one of his collected columns that was about the role books play in the life and ministry of clergy and church leaders. McKinley's words resonated with me, and with the feelings I have about books ... he spoke of not being able to loan out books for fear of getting them back (something I can REALLY relate to) ... but it was his view of the ROLE books play in our preaching.

McKinley talked about his mentors speaking of spending time in their Study - not thier office, their study ... I have always taken time in my sermon and service prep to read and truly research my themes and topics ... to some, it is a waste of time - there is no direct contact with people, and so it is not considered part of ministry ... but those who understand like McKinley (and others) note that time spent in study is time spent refreshing one's batteries spiritually, intellectually and physically, and it is also time spent reinforcing and expanding one's understanding of ministry and calling.

Sitting amidst various books and resources may not seem to be valuable time in ministry when emphasis is placed on visits, services, and other more physical actions, but without a grounding on a solid theological foundation, none of the work will amount to much, and the dynamic transformation we are called to embody and share will instead wither and die ...

The resurrection is not an intellectual exercise, nor can it be fully appreciated and proclaimed without a good grounding in the literature and theology of our culture and our world ... having a physical space called a Study, where we sit and do the necessary work of ministry that is far more than just reading, is about finding that balance point and preparing ourselves for the vocation that is ministry.

I am deeply appreciative to finally have a space within our house that is a dedicated "study" ... I share it with the felines of our house, but it is where for the first time in almost four years, my books are out and accessible, and I can step into it and immerse myself in the process of study and the gift of the Spirit it entails ...

It may not be pretty, or neat, but my Study is MY space ... and for that I am thankful.

1 comment:

Aunty E said...

looks like you have a nice bright study