Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Captain's Log - yesterday, today ...


My day began at 0430 with a cold nose pressed to the back of my neck along with the distinctive "thump thump thump" of a tail whacking something in the darkness.

My enquiry - "do you need to go outside?" was met with an increasing in the tempo of the tail, and an enthusiastic licking of my neck ...

Pulling on slippers and a hoodies, Yeoman Flute and I proceeded outside to the accompaniment of a cacophany of birds chirping throughout the neighbourhood.

Returning to bed at 4:37, I slept until my alarm rang at 0645 where upon I rose and began rousing the crew ... by 0830, breakfast was completed, lunches prepared, the crew were dressed and off to their duty stations for the day, leaving the bridge for Yeoman Flute and I to clean and tidy.

After sweeping the floor, washing the dishes, and readying a load of laundry, I returned to the galley seeking a mug of Fair Trade Coffee, black, and piping hot ... then I consulted the computer for an itinerary of the day's activities ...

The rest of the day consisted of writing a couple of articles for publication, reviewing current events on news sites, playing some on line games, and reading for my Thesis and for upcoming worship services.

After lunch Yeoman Flute and I retreated to the backyard deck and with plastic bags in and ON hand, began cleaning up the accumulation of biohazards the Yeoman had industriously produced over the last few months ... Noting that the laws of physics that dictate the output of a biological entity should equal the input had seemingly been suspended, I hefted several large bulging bags of biohazardous waste into the appropriate recepticle while Yeoman Flute created several new deposits in the now clean yard space ...

From there, Yeoman Flute and I then continued the work of turning sod on the proposed vegetable garden ... while I broke new ground, she focused her attention on relocating the rhubarb plants I had planted last week ...

At 1600 hours, the crew began to return to quarters looking for nutritional sustenance for the evening meal ... a meal of pasta and salad sufficed as arrangements were made for an evening excursion of various playing fields for games of soccer.

With one eye on the flashes of lightning etching their way across the brooding every darkening sky, the Soccer team vested to my care endured a resounding defeat at the hands of their opponents, but seemed nonetheless to enjoy the game.

After a stop at the local frozen refreshment stand, it was time to return home and begin preparations for entry into the nocturnal mode of our vessel.

By 2200 hours, the crew were bedded down for the night and I was able to request a broadcast of The Wizard of Oz from the computer before calling it a night just after 2400 hrs ...

Today has begun a bit later, but with a similar start ... more details as warranted ...

No comments: