Sunday, March 08, 2009

One of those humbling moments ...

Last night Ms. H. and I were watching one of my dvds of Hawaii Five O, the old Jack Lord series from the late 60's and early 70's ...

McGarrett picked up the phone in one scene and the screen zoomed in on his hand making the call ...

"What's that?" Ms. H. asked, looking at the rotary dial phone McGarrett was using.

"A phone," I answered.

"What kind of phone is THAT?" her voice dripping in bewilderment or distain (hard to tell which)

"A rotary phone..." I offered.

"How do they work?" Ms.H. asked, now intrigued.

"You put your finger in the plastic dial," I said, "and you turn the disc to the metal hook thing then let it go ..."

"SO," Ms.H. was trying to grasp an archiac and now antique technology, "if you have to dial 8- 9 - 7, you have to put your finger in each hole and turn the disc for EACH number ..."

"Um, yeah ..." I replied suddenly feeling very very very out of date ...

Sometimes a child needs ONLY A MOMENT to remind you of your age ...

Damned!!

No comments: