Monday, November 24, 2008

A Reign of Christ Touchdown !!

Buddy Blake from The Laughing Pastor, has done it again ... I wish I could have heard the entirety of his sermon for Reign of Christ that ended with the following reminder:

The church does not belong to those who have been long time members.
The church does not belong to those who contribute the most time, money or gifts.
The church does not belong to those with the longest memory or the most information.

We, the members of the body, the church… belong to Christ the King.The church does not belong to those who claim to be more appropriate in dress or behavior.The church does not belong to those who claim to be right in their thinking.The church does not belong to you or me.

We, the members of the body, the church… belong to Christ the King.

I bet the whole sermon was a good one - one that challenges the complacent to do more than preserving the status quo ... I bet you in was a sermon that would have spoken a truth that too many in the modern church want to ignore ... I bet it was a sermon filled with passion and courage ...

Thanks Blake - your words help me to remember whose church this is, and why those of us who have the courage to speak up and speak out can't silence their voices because it ruffles feather ... Maybe, just maybe, we need to ruffle a few more feathers to encourage this church we minister in to become what it is supposed to be ... WHAT WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE.

I doubt my sermon was a rockin' as Blakes' but if you're interested, the sermon I delivered for Reign of Christ can be found here: Reign of Christ - Meditative Moments

1 comment:

laughing pastor said...

Wow! Indeed my father would be proud. I've never made a touchdown...don't even think I've caught the dang football! Thanks. Though my sermon was received well it seems that some never get it. Heck, they never got Jesus...so what do we expect?