Monday, March 03, 2008

And to think I saw it on Mulberry Street ...

So today I journeyed down Mulberry Street ... or in this case - the Trans Canada Highway to Winnipeg ... and oh the things I've seen ...

I watched the most spectacular sunrise I had seen in a while ...

I drove on roads that were as icy as a hockey rink ...

I watched a flat deck semi carrying a load of World War II (or Korean War) vintage Jeeps - the REAL thing ... just beautiful ...

I passed a house travelling west bound at about 100 kms and HOUR (60 miles /per hour) !!!! I was impressed ... and a little scared ...

I watched to Light Armoured Personnel Vehicles blast down the highway on a training exercise ... the four exposed Soldiers sitting on top caused me to shutter as I thought of thier comrades driving through Afghanistan in the same way ... they looked TOO YOUNG and TOO VULNERABLE ...

but the scene that blew me away was on the return trip...

On the way east on Hwy 1 there were four or five vehicles that had slide off the road in the section west of Winnipeg - a mini-van and three or four trucks - all but one a 4X4 ... COMING HOME though, there had to be close to a dozen vehicles off the road in the same stretch ... some of the first ones were gone - and had been replaced ... but what struck me was the FACT that everyone of the vehicles I was passing were 4X4s !!! Everyone !!??!!??

I suppose the drivers figured - "I'm a four by four ... I don't have to slow down on the ice ..."

Ooops !!!! They were clearly wrong ...

I wonder if it was a sense of invulnerability that kept them clipping along?? But whatever the reason I kind of liked the fact that my little Toyota van held the road well ...

And to think I saw it all on Mulberry ... I mean Canada's Main Street !!!

No comments: