Monday, January 28, 2008

Twenty Years ago today ...

Love him or Hate him, you can't over look the simple fact that Dr Henry Morgentaler has changed the face of Canadian Law and society by battling for the right of women to choose and access safe abortions ... his battle for access isn't quite over, and at 83 years of age he continues to challenge the status quo to provide safe and equal access for ALL Canadian women to abortion.

Personally I don't favour abortion AT ALL ... but I am fierce in defending my belief that ALL women should have the RIGHT to choose for themselves whether or not to undergo the procedure ... not having a uterus myself, I have never felt compelled to tell others tht they CAN'T access abortions ... I may not personally believe in the usage of abortion - but it is NOT my place to impose my views on others - EVER.

Having said that - it was 20 years ago today, that Dr Morgentaler heard from the Supreme Court of Canada that they found Section 251 of the Criminal Code of Canada - the law under which he was arrested - to be UNCONSTITUTIONAL and Morgentaler and his co-defendents had their convictions overturned ...

Agree or disagree with the findings, Morgentaler et al vs Her Majesty the Queen, changed the face of Canadian law and turned us into a Pro-Choice nation (more or less) and that is NOT a bad thing.

2 comments:

Candygirlflies said...

Amen.

Wisely, and bravely, said.

xo CGF

Indigo said...

One of the funniest bumper stickers I ever saw said.. " don't like abortions, don't have one"..........

I know,(sigh) my sense of humour is warped.