Saturday, January 19, 2008

Oops ... I almost missed it !!!

I was having a cup of tea tonight at Chipperfields and reading the newspaper when I noticed the date - January 19th !!!

"O Crap," I said, "I almost forgot - today Prairie Preacher marks its 2nd Anniversary!!!"

The place was empty, and the staff were busy elsewhere, so my soliloquy went unmocked ...

So ... almost two years after the journey began, I find myself sitting down at my lap top authoring the 1366th posting to be placed here ... It's been in an interesting journey.

Two years ago I was happily working in a Pastoral Charge of the United Church of Canada struggling to overcome the lingering effects of a nasty fight I had foolishly engaged in ... then less than a month later our community would awaken to the sight of the 105 year old sanctuary engulfed in the flames of arson ...

Since then I've encountered some new friends around the globe, reconnected with some old ones, and reinforced some friendships that remain valuable to me ...

My words have at times been silly and irreverent, reflective and playful, and sometimes even sharp and critical ... some people have take offense to what I've written around here, while many many more have spoken words of appreciation and gratitude for the open and frank postings that have appeared here ... As a pilgrim of faith, I don't write to maintain the status quo, but rather, to help express the longings of the seekers who want MORE ...

Along the way friends have been compelled and inspired to find their voices in their own blogs ... I've dabbled in writing fiction ... taking photos ... and sharing my reflections on life ...

The journey has had its ups and its downs ... there have been terrible dark moments when I was ready to throw in the towel not only on the blog, but on other aspects of my life ... and there have been moments when I have found myself crushed under the criticism of my words, thoughts, blog and even my ministry when on the streets of Minnedosa or Brandon, or through the mail, or even by email I have encountered someone who says - "I was so glad when you wrote ..." and they share with me what a particular posting, or even what the tone of my blog means to them ... and they not only say "Thank You" but encourage me to continue Blogging ...

So, to those who grit their teeth when they read my postings here - ALL 1366 of them !!!! - and to those who harshly ask the question - "WHY DO YOU BLOG??"

I can honestly say that in recent days I have found my answer: Because I enjoy the creative process, and I enjoy sharing the reflections and questions that are a part of my life's journey ... I don't see a problem with my words rubbing people the wrong way, or offending them- afterall, we in the Church are supposedly followers of the One who did just that regularly and paid for it with his life!!!! I don't write for my critics anyway ... I write like I preach - seeking:

To comfort the afflicted,
and to afflict the comfortable !!!

Looking back over the last two years it has been an amazing trip ... If I would have known then what I know NOW about the path that lies ahead I may not have put up the first posting ... But looking back at all the highs and lows I've been through, I can only say - I'm glad I DID.

It's been a helluva journey ... and it ain't over yet !!!!

Thanks for accompanying me!!!
And rest assured ... it's a journey that will be continuing forward !!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I am unknowing of your history, I wish you well on your anniversary of your blog. I deleted my blog when I felt uncomfy with how personal it got, how baldly I revealed myself. You keep on, boldly, revealling yourself, hairless and all.
Good on ya!

Dayenu!

shauna said...

Happy Anniversary! And how lucky we are to have your blog! :)