Saturday, January 05, 2008

The Little Sister Grows Up ...

Back in October, my blogger-friend Blake over at The Laughing Pastor set the modest goal for himself to "Become the World's Pastor". My first reaction at the time was - "Damned, I wish I would have thought of that ..."

Since then I have been busy completing the Directed Study Programme laid out by the Presbytery where I serve, and I was looking forward to the end of my suspension so I could "get back to work" doing what I have been called to do ... but like Lennon says - "life is what happens when you're busy making other plans".

So as the new year unfolds I find myself in a place where I must as the old saying goes: "pee or get off the pot."

Today three things happened that lead me to a decision ... the first was reading Diane Butler Bass' book "Christianity for the Rest of Us," ... the second was receiving a comment on the blog (see below) that touched my heart, ... and the third was an experience akin to the call that lead me to ordained ministry - this time though it was not a call to something BEYOND ministry, but it was a call to use THIS form of communication as a MINISTRY to those who are out in cyber space looking for something ...

My calling would seem to be to those who are not only on the margins of the traditional church, but who are seekers (as defined by Butler Bass and others) who yearn for something more but haven't got a clue of where to look for it ... So tonight I finally found an answer to my struggle about what to do with the sister BLOG that is now known as "Meditative Moments".

It started as a Blog for the Congregation I formerly served - a means of communicating with the world, particularly following the fire of February 12th 2006 that destroyed not only their building, but so much more ... as my ministry with them was terminating, I didn't want to just hit delete and remove it from cyber-space ... nor could I just ignore it ... over the last couple of months I played around with its format and content, but nothing seemed right to me ... now as it approaches its SECOND birthday, like any great toddler it has finally found its distinctive personality!!!!

Tonight I found what I was looking for ... from here on, Meditative Moments will become a place where I reach out beyond the narrow stifling confines of a particular geographic location. Starting today Meditative Moments will endeavour to be a gathering place for the world ... Like Pastor Blake seeking to be a pastor to the world - I will make a similar commitment - to offer my reflections, learnings, readings and other lessons taught by life to the many seekers out there who want to see the Church transform itself into something NEW ...

So ... like the old Faberge commercial - the one where the model said - "I told two friends, and they told two friends, and they told two friends ... and so on ... and so on ... and so on ..." until the tv screen was FULL of little tiny digital heads touting the benefits of the shampoo ... like that I challenge EACH of you to invite two friends to head over to Meditative Moments and begin a new ministry to the seekers in the world ... and urge them to invite two friends ... and so on and so on and so on ...

The great changes that wash over our world begin because a couple of people begin to do something ... and soon they find out that not only are they NOT alone, but they are part of a reformation ... the reformation is already happening (read Butler Bass) ... I just want to ride the wave rather than be washed away by it ...

Come to Meditative Moments and join me ...

No comments: