Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A letter ...

It began with a letter sent from eight well intentioned, intelligent and no doubt caring clergy members who looked at events in their community and reacted with what can only be described as aprehension and fear ... They urged the minority members of thier community to reject the agitation of outsiders, and to wait as the issues causing concern were addressed in a timely and orderly fashion ...

I remember the first time I saw the picture above ... it struck me that any minister who ended up behind bars for taking a stand motivated by faith had to be radical and very cool ... THEN I began a journey of reading, reflecting over, and seeking to honour (by living their values) those words ... The first written piece of King's I ever read was his "Letter from a Birmingham Jail" that was, as the title indicates, written from a jail cell in reply to a letter written by eight fellow clergy people who had taken exception to Rev. King's acts of civil disobedience.

Today for the first time I read that original letter that prompted one of Rev. King's greatest offerings to humanity ... what stood out for me was the phrase: "we are convinced that these demonstrations are unwise and untimely."

I couldn't help but wonder how many times such a phrase has rolled from the lips of well intentioned church leaders who earnestly believe that one of the flock have begun to acted rashly, unwisely and out of turn ... But as I once again read Rev. King's letter I couldn't help but wonder how words written 45 years ago could remain so fresh and pertinent about the condition of the Church in the 21st Millenium ...

Today the words Rev. King has spoken reminds us ALL that there is MUCH work yet to be done ...

I invite you to either read the ENTIRE letter via the link above, or head over to Meditative Moments for some excerpts that speak to the Modern Church ... either way, it's a voice worth hearing and if we dare - HEEDING!!

No comments: