Tuesday, December 25, 2007

This Morning ...

Last night we sat in front of the tv and watched the DVD of A Christmas Carol starring Alister Sims ... the original black & white version of course ... the children we actually in bed by 10pm leaving the house quiet ...

The first footsteps were heard at 1:30am ... Beetle was heading down the hall for a nocturnal visit to the bathroom ... silence followed her return to her room ... at 2am I crept up the stairs to hear Oreo the guinea pig sqeaking (she calls for her night-time treat when she hears us moving about - she's got US trained) ... quietly I crept into Beetle's room feed Oreo her nightly yoghurt drops only to trip over Beetle sitting on the floor IN THE DARK !!!

"What the ... ???" my words were choked as I fell over her in the dark ...

"I can't sleep ..." she said in a loud whisper, as she climbed out from under my legs and headed back to bed ... crawling under the covers as I picked myself up off the floor she continued excitedly, "AND Santa came !!! He left my stocking already!!! AND he gave me a BIG present!!!" Her hand waved at the wrapped parcel that would turn out to be a box of cereal ... Her eyes narrowed, "were you up when Santa came?"

"I was asleep on the couch," I said quietly, "he must have snuck in while I was sleeping and not woken me up ..."

"Oh," she said softly looking relieved, "did you put cookies out for him?"

"Yes, a couple of cookies, and a fresh baked butter tart," I whispered, "NOW, You need to go to sleep ... It's not time to get up yet." I kissed her on the cheek.

"Okay," she said with a bright, wide eyed smile, "but I'm too excited. It's hard to sleep!"

"Try ..." I said with a whisper, while I pulled the blankets up around her neck and gave her another kiss.

"Okay," she said smiling as she closed her eyes and pulled Piggy (her pink pig stuffy) closer.

The next four hours had her up repeatedly asking: "Is it time to get up yet?" until 5:30 when Ms. H. bounced out of bed and the giggling and loud whispering announced that Christmas morning had finally begun ...

Now less than five hours later the presents have been opened ... batteries installed where appropriate ... music listened to ... books perused ... and clothing tried on ... a quiet hush has settled over the house ... now is the time we hang out as family ...

All in all, it's been a good Christmas in the face of less than great circumstances ...

No comments: