Wednesday, November 07, 2007

That's What Friends are For:


On Sunday evening I sent to my circle of friends, and family an email explaining to them the delightful turn my life has just taken ... On Sunday afternoon a Congregational Meeting of Minnedosa United Church, voted to hold a second meeting to consider the recommendation by some to "end the Pastoral Relationship without cause."
.
In laymen's terms it means the congregation will meet in a couple of weeks to consider FIRING me, though in the United Church we don't use such blunt language. Instead we opt for the softer, gentler, "to end the pastoral relationship without cause."
.
Over the next few days I am going tell my side of this story ... I am going to reach back to the beginning of this and share some of the experiences I've endured and confronted. I will offer no excuses for the past, but rather a point of view that has been ignored, overlooked and drowned out in the passage of time ... But first I want to share some of the emails I've gotten in reply from my friends and my family - emails that speak a courageous voice about the status of the modern church ... I will never claim to be innocent, but I am taking my lumps and facing my punishment ...
.
I've learned in this United Church of ours, that - JUST BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE SAYS IT'S RIGHT, doesn't make it right ... Faith is NOT about votes and politicking - faith is about living the WORD of the LIVING God, not just one hour a week - BUT - EVERY DAY !!! And that is the message I hear from my friends over and over ... and that is the kind of faith I have always tried to live.
.
So, for now - a letter from a dear friend who shares a profound wisdom taught by life's bruises:
.
I find myself thinking the Church has done it again! We wonder how children have been abused, and so many wrongs have been committed in the ‘name’ of the Church. Until organized religion, including the United Church gets ahold of itself and realizes its true purpose, you do not belong there. You are about what is right and good, what is faithful and holy. You believe in the walk that is true to Jesus. You will continue that walk of truth, justice and love no matter how you earn money and care for your family.

The Church will continue to deny its own truth, will continue to refuse to face its own issues and will continue to serve the purpose of the PERSON on the board instead of its DIVINE PURPOSE. How much more energy do you want to give to that? – to that which refuses change – the Church will likely die, at its own hand. Now that you can be released from the whole mess, write a letter (or a book) and send it where it needs to go and thank them for the opportunity to learn about what really matters to you, what your faith is about and the peace that will come from this for you in the end.

You are truly an inspiration in strength and integrity. No matter what challenges you have faced, your thoughts are for those around you, you open yourself to the criticism just or not and you offer peace and healing in return. Anyone who chooses to find fault with that has some work to do of their own.

Keep writing - keep writing - keep writing.

Your strength and truth is going to take you to places you have never imagined. You will always minister to those around you, that is who you are. You now have the gift of being free of an antiquated institution that does not function in the real world. Now you can make a difference in the world. Now is the time that you need to choose to use your gifts for those who need you. The Church will get it together or it will end for an institution that is out of date. I struggle daily with whether or not I want to attend a church. My life and work is my faith. My prayer is daily and on going. I choose to do God’s work not hear about it once a week and do what ever else I want for 6 days and 23 hours! I grew up in a rubber stamp religion, and I left it for a very long time. Only when I spent Christmas in a Muslim country with the wine drinking Grey Nuns in their tiny little sanctuary built into their house did I understand faith and what I believed.
.
To my friends and those who continue to accompany me on this journey of healing, discovery and faith - I offer my humble thanks ...

1 comment:

fun grannie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.