Saturday, November 24, 2007

A Stroll Down Memory Lane ...

In an attempt to provide my readers a more balanced view of Childhood, both theirs and MINE ... I will offer the following clips I found on YouTube. After revisiting the trauma of the creepy Child Catcher of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, I had to find some happier memories ... and I did in these clips ...
.
This may be incomprehensible to my American Readers, but Bob Homme WAS, along with Ernie Coombs (Mr Dressup) a Canadian Television Institution not unlike Mr Rogers, Captain Kangaroo or even Howdy Doody. WE grew up watching both programmes - they are gentle programmes filled with story, music, and delightful characters. Mr Dressup had Casey and Finegan, while Friendly had Jerome the Giraffe and Rusty the Rooster (we won't talk about a rooster living in a sack hanging on the wall!!??) ...
.
Yesterday playing on YouTube I found clips of both programmes ... and so here I offer a reminder of The Friendly Giant ... and below a clip of Mr Dressup !!
.
Two programmes that carry me to a deeply serene and peaceful place ... Tonight I think a viewing of The Wizard of Oz (the original) is in order !!!!
.
The first one begins with promos for TWO other Canadian TV Institutions: Fraggle Rock and The Beachcombers !!!
.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you read about the disrespectful way these puppets were used on the Gemini Award show??

I was disgusted. I will look for the link and send it to you.

This to me, as a child of the age that loved these shows, is akin to urinating on the National Monument.

Sallie

Anonymous said...

gemini awards 2007 show skit with puppets

I did a Google search and came up with a CBC admission that the Homme family has requested the Jerome and Rusty pupppets be returned to the family home.

Check it out, I am not kidding. See if you can find anything more on the disrespectful skit.
Sallie