Thursday, November 01, 2007

Scenes from the Day ...

It's been an interesting day ... somethings didn't work out as planned ... other things turned out much better than expected ... overall, it was a good way to mark the day ... though, I still would have liked to have had a kick ass 40th Birthday party ...

I never made it for the planned coffee or lunch ... I spent some time this morning writing a piece for submission to a writing contest ... then after lunch I took the witch cake into Bex's Grade Three class - It was a hit !! - I watched the costume parade before heading home ...

The rest of the afternoon was getting ready for the big night, and finishing off the submission ... I had an assortment of interuptions from phone calls, emails and even the odd text message - ALL wishing me a Happy Birthday !!! I was touched ...

After supper the kids went out trick or treating, leaving me to hand out the candy to the 20 kids we had arrive at our door. At the end of the evening we gathered around the kitchen table and cut into the ice cream cake:

When our guests left Ms H. handed out the presents for me ... from M and the kids there was a dvd set of Corner Gas Season 4, and a five cd set of John Coltrane music: Ms H even gave me a polished rock she had bought with HER money some weeks ago for me ... little sister Beetle, gave me a home made card and a loonie for my next "coffee".

When they headed off to bed, I went up to my coffee shop to hang with my friends and chill in the waning hours of the day ... Well, just hanging out wasn't in the cards ... I was simultaneously awed and humbled by the fuss and the gifts that were offered ... a bottle of nice wine, a funky pair of strange reading glasses, a box of "necessary" items for life over 40, and the most awesome tee-shirt I've ever seen:


The evening was topped off with fresh baked pie and ice cream, and steaming tea ... All things considered it turned out to be a pretty decent day ... thanks to everyone who made it special and wonderful !! With friends like THIS ... I'm very lucky!!!

2 comments:

My Own Woman said...

My husband loves Coltrane. You're not him are you? .....wait....he's 50, he's already started his colonoscopy parade.

Dina said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY REV!!!

Your just a puppy ( I can say that cuz I'm older than you :)