Sunday, November 11, 2007

One Last Thought for Remembrance Day ...

One of my favourite monuments to the War Dead is the Cenotaph tucked alongside the river in Stratford. Designed by the same sculptor who gave the world The Vimy Memorial, I've often used images of the beautiful bronze figures in posts about the fallen in Afghanistan. The two figures convey much in their stance and posture ... They offer a visual contrast between Might and Defeat, perhaps found most vividly in the futility of war ...

I've previously shared some of the background and history of the monument (click here to read more), and I've shared some of the information about Mr Allward that I learned earlier this year. (click here that article)

Today after reading a brilliant and subtle entry over at "I can fly, just not up," the thought occured to me that it given that today is a day for remembrance it would be a good time to revisit Mr Allward's stunning sculpture that has stood in Stratford for the last 80 years as a legacy to those who marched to war and never came home ...


No comments: