Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Kick 'n the Balls ...

It's funny the power we can invest in one person's opinion, even when that opinion is hate-filled, spiteful and wrong ...

I keep hearing that I am no longer welcomed at the Soccer Fields in town ... I find that a funny contention ...

I know where it comes from ... a few years ago I coached the oldest level of Boys Soccer in the House League that played here and in Brandon ... One parent that I know of, took exception that I, the MINISTER talked to the boys in the language the boys used ... I used the odd expletive ... I teased them ... they teased me ...

Apparently, I should restrict my words to things like "Gosh," and "drat" and the ever popular - "Oh Golly!!" ...

Sorry, but I wasn't raised that way ... in my family, my neighbourhood and MY world - if you mean "Oh Damned!!" you say it ... One day I'll tell you about my Grandmother's favourite expression ... and it wasn't "Oh Shoot!!!" ... my youngest cousins learned it pretty quick though at age 2!!

Anyway ... as a result of this the rumour has persisted, and was erroneously shared the other day publicly yet again - that I am not welcomed at the Soccer Pitches in our community ... Funny, that's NOT the story I got when I stepped aside as coach - I lack the credentials to coach the team at the level they were/are playing.

But whatever - the lie makes a better story ... so it keeps getting told and retold as gospel ... I would expect better of Church members ... but that's another posting ...

As for me, I take my opinion from the voices that really matter - The BOYS themselves ... I wasn't coaching for the parents, and I wasn't coaching for the members of my Church - I was coaching for the boys ... and when I go to Brandon and get stopped at the Mall, in a Grocery Store, at the University, or even in a Pub by one of those boys and am greeted with a HUGE smile (occasionally even a hug) and an update on what's happening in their lives and what's going on and how much they appreciated me as thier coach ... I know the TRUTH.

I don't care if a parent didn't like me ... I don't even care if her or his child didn't ... I stood on the sidelines rain or shine as a real person - NOT some fake, hypocritical, parody - a REAL FLESH AND BLOOD PERSON WHO LAUGHED WITH THEM, STOOD BY THEM WHEN THEY HURT, AND WAS PRESENT FOR THEM NO MATTER WHAT - ON THEIR TERMS ...

So now, when one of those boys stops me and tells me about thier lives - THAT'S ALL THE PROOF & SUPPORT I NEED !!!

Oh, and like the old saying tells us - "Been there, done that, Got the Tee-shirt!!" Funny thing about this rumour ... I have a tee-shirt from the last team I coached signed by ALL the boys and paid for BY the parents thanking me for being their coach ... That tells me somebody's not being truthful !!??