Thursday, November 01, 2007

As the Fifth Decade begins ...

I've been sitting on this post (pardon the pun) for a couple of weeks ... and today as I formally begin my fifth decade of life, it would seem appropriate to offer this as a reminder for men everywhere to be aware of their bodies and their health ...

A couple of weeks ago I had a full physical with my Doctor ... complete with the infamous "digit" exam to make sure the prostate was okay ... Now that I'm over 40 - it will be a necessary part of my annual visits to the doc.

I can't say it was pleasant ... I joked he could have at least bought me drinks before ...

When I got home that afternoon and went cruising the net I came across a posting over at The Assertive Cancer Patient Blog that absolutely cracked me up. As part of her protest against the shameless and borderline obscene commercialization of the Pink Ribbon Campaign, she offered up a Prostate Cancer Ken doll to counter the many items festooned with pink ribbons each October.

As a woman and activist living with terminal cancer Jeanne wants to raise the awareness of fighting cancer by catching it early, NOT by sticking pink ribbons on everything from dolls to candy. More importantly, she also advocates taking a progressive, and ASSERTIVE stance towards your own health by regular check ups and so on ...

Her posting on the creation and introduction of Prostate Cancer Ken is simply brilliant, and the timing for me was utterly HILARIOUS!!!!
The other postings on P.C. Ken are:
The back of the Box
and
The Back View of P.C. Ken

And there are of course the necessary accessories for Ken as he faces his ailment and begins his recovery !!!! Check them out here!!

.

So, as November begins and the Pink Ribbons are tucked away for another year it behooves us all to find comfort within our skin and to be aware of HOW cancer can be beaten by cutting the risks, and by being aware of the various self-exams that both men and women are able (and should do) but most of all - regular visits with your doctor and overcoming the reluctance to certain procedures CAN and DO save lives and greatly reduce the risk of Cancers like PROSTATE Cancer !!!

.

It's not terribly comfortable, but the exam only takes a minute and it MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

.

Last week one night my friends and I got talking about the Prostate Cancer exam and I suggested we should start a campaign for men that says: "Find a female doctor. Have a couple of drinks before your appointment, and make it into a "date" ... whatever it takes to get it done!!" I doubt female doctors would appreciate it ... so instead, I would suggest instead that MEN just have to get over their hang ups and JUST DO IT !!!

.

And so, now as a parting gift in honour of Jeanne and her delightful Prostate Cancer Ken, and the necessity of regular medical exams ... I offer on of my FAVOURITE pieces of music by Bowser and Blue, a Canadian Comedy duo who are just bizarre!!

.

Enjoy !!!


1 comment:

My Own Woman said...

I think you are as sick as I am. That was way too funny and now my stomach hurts.

Oh, by the way.....50 should be your first colonoscopy too. Sorry, thought you should know.

Happy Birthday