Wednesday, October 31, 2007

My One Disappointment ...

Today is my birthday ... Today I turn 40 ...

I've watched many of those in my age bracket have large parties and gatherings with friends and family to mark the day ... I actually had planned two years ago to hold a party like that when I turned 40 ...

My hope was to have a house full of friends, food and just a good time ... but life has a funny way of happening when you're busy making other plans ...
.
There will be no party ... tonight after the kids go trick or treating, we've invited a few friends (mainly the parents of the our kids' friends) to stop by and have a slice of cake. Through the day I'll have coffee with a friend, lunch with another, and end the day with a tea with another ... It will be an okay way to mark the day ... but overall it is very disappointing ...
.
But, looking back over the last couple of years, disappointment has become a constant companion in my journey:
.
I had looked forward to the day I would be able to preside at the wedding of my Little Brother, only to be disappointed when my suspension prevented that from happening ...
.
I have given my heart and soul to the work I have been called to do, only to be disappointed by the experiences I've endured over the last couple of years ...
.
I had looked forward to FINALLY having the kind of party everyone else seems to enjoy at some point in their lives, only to be disappointed by the suggestion that to hold such a party would violate my suspension ...
.
I guess I can take solace in the simple fact that my 50th is only 10 years away, and by then I'll be able to celebrate THAT birthday any Fu%&*n' Way I WANT!!!!
.
Today I'll just savour the quiet moments I can spend with my children and my true friends, and give thanks that through it all, they've been there and have never failed me !!
.
AND THAT may well be the BEST Birthday Present of all!!!
.

2 comments:

laughing pastor said...

i'm coming to your 50th....but heck I'll be stinking old by then.

laugh today!

Anonymous said...

I'm coming too, maybe I'll organize it!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHAWN!!!! for the record, it's not right that you can't celebrate the way you would like to... If there were something I could do to change that, I would....
But for now, enjoy the moments in your day that really bring you happiness, peace and contentment. Enjoy the smiles, laughter, quiet conversation and everything in between... Know that your true friends are wishing you only the best and thinking of you today.