Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Last Flowers of the Season ...

Yesterday I decided to harvest the sweet peas that were still blooming in Ms H & Beetle's gardens ... somehow they had survived several harsh frosts, and are still growing and blooming!!

It was nice to have one last bouquet of fresh cut flowers from the garden - especially considering it is late in October - gracing our dinner table, and now it is nice to share them with the rest of you.

I have a special place in my heart for Sweet Peas ... in Bella Coola we grew an enormous number of them along our front fence, and when I went visiting elders I often took a handful to give them, and share the joy ... but my strongest association with sweet peas is the profusion of them that grew wild in the ditches for a metres and metres on either side of my Great Grandmother's farm house outside of Desboro Ontario.

The end of the long drive to Grandma Cain's was signaled by the white, pink, and mauve blossoms of the perennial plants that had long ago escaped the flower beds around the house and had established themselves along the gravel road ... You knew you were there when you could see the blaze of colours ...

Sweet Peas are one of my favourite flowers ... and having the girls grow them this year on their own was a delight ... one that has stretched long into the fall ... and for that I am thankful.

No comments: