Monday, October 08, 2007

Extra !! Extra !! In today's paper ...

I said I would add the link when it appeared, and this morning I got an email from a friend in Canada asking me if I was in the "marrying business" ... "Huh??" ... Oh drat, an off handed comment about wracking my brains for single men who might fit Jeanne's criteria became one of my quotations in the article ...

Oh well ... it's a well written article that EVERY Canadian should read this holiday weekend, especially those who are in the States shopping to save money ... Our health care system may not be perfect - but it is pretty good.

I remember hearing former United Church Moderator Bill Phipps musing about the Canada our fore-bearers had created. He noted that in the last twenty five years or so we were witnessing the systematic dismantling of a caring, compassionate Canada that people like Wordsworth, Lewis and Trudeau had built. He noted that sooner or later we needed to wake up to the simple fact that the Canada we THOUGHT we had created may no longer exist if we don't change our ways ... Today, on Thanksgiving Monday, I give thanks that the heart beat of a JUST SOCIETY is still beating in our land and that it hasn't been extinguished yet ...

Maybe if we Canadians spent more time and energy just paying our fair share of taxes that in turn support our health, education and other Government provided services that in turn care for and care about the most vulnerable among us instead of finding loop holes, and saving money by allowing our cash to drain out of the country all together, we wouldn't have so many complaints about Medi-care ... But admittedly, what do I know, I am happy to pay my taxes, and I'm very happy that we have the Medi-care system we have ... It's NOT perfect, but it's pretty darned good !!!

For now though - click here to read the article in Today's Toronto Star about Jeanne Sather, The Assertive Cancer Patient, and give thanks if you live North of the Border at how fortunate we TRULY are ...

Then tomorrow we can get busy shoring up the Canada we want and need ... the Canada that cares for EVERYONE without exception or condition ... The pulse might be weakening, but it's NOT gone yet ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

excellent quotes! my entire family listened to my mom read aloud your wise and interesting words in the front page article in the toronto star lead artilce. we were all very impressed. carry on!