Monday, October 08, 2007

Calling all Parents !!!! (Grandparents too !!)

Ah heck ... this goes to anyone who has kids they need to buy a gift for ...
.
On Saturday we swung by our favourite toy store in Winnipeg a funky place in the Exchange District called Toad Hall ... Grandma gave each kid ten bucks to blow, and they had some money of their own from Birthdays, Christmas and the occassional allowance (chore dependent - there ain't no free ride in this house !!!) ... Beetle and Ms H bought some craft supplies and PlayMobil ... while Noahkila cruised the store repeatedly ...
.
Now to pause, for those of you who haven't been ... it's hard to describe Toad Hall ... it has old creaky wooden floors and a HUGE variety of every quality toy, book, magic trick and game imaginable ... I like to hang out in the puppet section and check out the characters there ... then I head over to the model train corner and drool ... and from there I head back to the PlayMobil section and just marvel at the sets ... but enough about me ...
.
Noahkila ended up in the games and puzzle aisle where he spent time checking out the many different games stacked there like cordwood ... He then found "Killer Bunnies" a card and dice game that is kind of hard to explain ...
.
"Can I get this?" He asked hopefully as I came down the aisle.
.
I took the box from his hand and looked at the price sticker that was three times the 10 dollars Grandma had gifted him, but I was equally as intrigued as he was enthusiastic. I read the description on the back of the box, then checked out the various booster packs.
.
I then said, "I'll give you the money, but the game is ours, not just yours ..."
.
"Okay," he answered with a big grin as he took the twenty out of my hand and headed for the check out with the blue box tucked under his arm.
.
I was and is a good purchase. I can't even begin to describe Killer Bunnies, and despite the less than appealing name, it is a good, clean game that is lots of fun to play. Even though it says ages 12 and up, Noahkila has also managed to teach it to his eight year old sister and her little friends (ages 6 & 8) from down the street how to play.
.
And last night after supper at a neighbours the adults sat around the table and played it with Noahkila ... It is an interesting, potentially fast paced game where you have to strategize how to play against your opponent while obtaining food, water and the carrots in order to win ...
.
It is a game that can be fun and frustrating - usually at the same time ...
.
And now, a mere two days after purchasing it I would highly, highly recommend it to any one looking for a fun non-electronic gift this year. For Parents and Grandparents, it is the kind of game that could cause the video games to be turned off, and the circle of family and friends gathered around the table to play ... As proof, I would offer Noahkila and his buddies playing the last two afternoons at the dining room table ... there was alot of chatter, laughter and groans as the cards were played and the dice tossed ...
.
A good time was had by all ... SO - look for it - Killer Bunnies, and take the leap!!

No comments: