Friday, August 10, 2007

Yummy ...

I'm not sure what it is - maybe it's eating less and feeling hungry all the time - maybe it's the loss of weight that's causing my brain to wander - maybe it's just appreciating the food that I eat when I actually eat it ... whatever it is, I've been thinking about food A LOT Lately ...

I'm not thinking about eating, but rather, I'm thinking back on memorable foods and meals that I've had in my life and how tasty they were ...

Today as I prepared a batch of waffles for Ms H and Beetle and their friends who slept over last night, I got thinking about breakfasts I had enjoyed ... and one that came to mind was the simple toasted pita bread we enjoyed every morning at Tantur Ecumenical Institute outside of Bethlehem during a study tour I took back in the late 80's.

It was nothing spectacular - but the very act of popping a pita bread in the toaster then applying honey, jam or my personal favourite: Peanut Butter (and not the processed stuff - REAL crushed peanut PB) was wonderful ... I've done it periodically since, but it has NEVER captured the flavour of that experience ... It must have been something in the pita ... couldn't be the setting, the company, or any other factor could it ??!!

I think Jesus got it right when he posited the holiest action of the Christian Church in the midst of a meal ... when we sit down and really break bread with one another, we share something truly extra-ordinary ... it might be a simple toasted pita ... it could be a waffle ... or it could be a couple of cookies with a cup of tea ... whatever it is, if we are mindful of our actions and the company we are with - it becomes an act of Holy Communion ...

No comments: