Friday, August 10, 2007

A whisper ...


A long time ago a grandmother told a granddaughter that when someone they loved died, they went to the spirit world ...

"What's the Spirit World?" asked the Granddaughter, wanting to know more.

The Grandmother answered the child saying, "It's where the spirits of those we've loved go when they die. It's as far away as the next breath and as near as the wind on your cheek. Those we've lost are never really gone, they are just in a different place, somewhere very near. And when we need them, they will be there for us ..."

In time that granddaughter saw her Grandmother enter the spirit world, and in time that Granddaughter herself became a Grandmother. And one day she told her granddaughter what the old woman had said ...

In time that Granddaughter told her granddaughter, and that granddaughter told her's and so on ... the story passed from one generation to another across the vast expanse of time ...

Then one night over tea in the hall of the Church in Bella Coola, a grandmother told me the story she heard from her grandmother, who had heard it from her grandmother ... it was a timeless story about a truth, and a way of seeing the world with new eyes ...

Tonight I took a walk in the Spirit World ... I called on those who have gone before me who have taught me wisdom to guide me on the path I am trodding ... I asked for their counsel, their advice and their help ... And it came ...

In time ... my story from tonight will be told ... and retold ...

No comments: