Saturday, August 04, 2007

It's strange sometimes ...

I've mused previously about how the simple act of listening to music can take you places of peace and serenity ... Today I was instantaneously transported back in time to a simpler time and place ...

Today, like many other days I sat with my coffee in hand and prepared to listen to the sidebar selection over At the Half Note , as the first bars of Avalon by Roxy Music began to play, I was transported to a very different place than the one Katie described from her life experience.

The place the song took me to was when I was night watering at the Stratford Golf and Country Club (one of my absolutely FAVOURUTE jobs of ALL time) back in the late 1980's. I was a University student working over the summer to earn money for the fall ...

Avalon is one of the haunting pieces of music that can instantly take me back to those warm summer nights ... watching thunderstorms roll by to the north, cruising the course in the dark, moving sprinkler heads and chasing off trespassers, and even taking friends for midnight tours up and down the fairways ...

Hearing that music today put me back in a time and place that was GOOD ... I loved my job ... I was making good money ... I was spending the summer hanging with my friends ... and I was dating a young woman I absolutely adored ... For a brief moment life was almost perfect ...

Funny how music can re-connect us with moments like that, and offer a much needed escape that in turn provides a moment of grounding no matter what we are facing today ...

Thanks Katie - Great choice of music for today ... the song is both enchanting and deeply meaningful ...

The side bar musical selection has YET to disappoint !!!!

No comments: