Sunday, June 24, 2007

Tonight, I am PROUD to be United !!!

I don't want this to sound like a condemnation of either our Lutheran or Anglican sisters and brothers ... but tonight I am very, very proud to be a member of the United Church of Canada. I am proud that we have wrestled with the issue of the place of Gays and Lesbians in the WHOLE people of God. I'm proud to be in a church where Gays and Lesbians are welcomed into all aspects of life within the Church. I'm proud that we were amongst the first to champion and preside at Same Sex Marriages.

I'm just proud of the United Church and the courageous stands we've taken over the last twenty years ...

We still have much work to do ... and thankfully that work is being done. But reading online about the Lutheran and Anglican meetings held in Winnipeg this weekend, and the rejection of Same Sex Blessings by both denominations just causes me to say a soft - "Thank you God for the courage and boldness and faithfulness of the United Church." It's too bad when we base our faith in fear, and reject those who are different ...

Ours has not been an easy journey, and in some corners the wounds and hurts are still fresh ... but thankfully, we've stayed the course and have been faithful to our vision of the Kingdom of God alive and present in our world. A Kingdom where ALL people are welcomed unconditionally. There is still work to do - but we trust in the Spirit to see it happen ...

Tonight I'm proud to be United ... and I'm prouder still to say it !!!

No comments: