Saturday, June 30, 2007

NICE ... really, really nice ...

Yesterday I drove to Neepawa to pick up the ice cream cake for Beetle's Birthday party and sleep over ... NOW, at the best of times, I hate driving on long weekends ... but yesterday underscored the 'WHY?' of that sentiment ...

I was on a long straight, and very flat stretch of highway. Approaching me was a pick up truck pulling an oversized RV Trailer ... suddenly, the car behind the truck camper combo pulled out to pass. The driver didn't look for oncoming traffic ... She simply pulled out to pass.

One could assume she thought that because it was a dotted line down the middle of the road it was safe to proceed ... Unfortunately my van happened to be in the same space, headed in an opposite trajectory as her's ...

HOWEVER, she didn't notice any of this. The driver of the oncoming car was too busy talking on her cell phone and bending down to adjust her CD player to have take any notice of me passing her car on HER left. My transit through the gravel and grass bordering the highway was a little more harrowing that I had planned for the day ... I DO think she finally noticed me as I blurred by her driver's window, but I can't be sure, I was too busy trying to stay on four wheels and out of the ditch to watch her ... The brake lights of the camper combo told me the driver of THAT rig saw me ...

All I can say though, is - "Thanks" to that brain dead twit, who was too busy planning out her long weekend over the phone, and making sure the right Brittany Spears tune is playing on her CD Player to watch where she was driving !!! In moments like this I become a stronger believer in Darwinian theory ... Unfortunately though, too often idiots like tend to take out others and walk away unscathed ... Fortunately, my many years of driving and my foundational Driver's Training all surged to the fore in an instant, and I avoided a disasterous start to MY Long Weekend ...

In the mean time I WILL be more vigilant on the roads this weekend ... and I hope YOU will too ... stay safe!!! And watch out for the idiots - they're out there !!!

No comments: