Wednesday, May 23, 2007

My First ...

Now that I have a lap top that I have found increasingly indispensible, I can look back on a number of other computers that came into my life for a time and were then upgraded to a new and better unit ... Each one having new features, and larger memory and more capability than the one that preceded it ...

BUT, I still remember my first ... it was a third hand Commodore Pet, that was programmable in BASIC computer language and that had an external cassette tape drive for saving programmes and data ... Anyone else remember the early PCs???

My PET was awesome. I was one of the first kids in my class to have my OWN computer ... others has Vic-20's and a couple had Commodore 64's ... BUT, I had the "real" computer ... I was able to sit in my room and write games programmes, do interesting things like set the computer up to count to 1 000 000, and do creative graphics on the greeen screen with semi-colons, commas and so on ...

Looking back it was pretty simplistic, but at the time it was COOL, in a geeky sort of way ...

I wouldn't trade my lap top for a PET, but I look back with fondness on the ability to have a personal computer back when computers were new ... Ah the memories !!

1 comment:

Candygirlflies said...

Acckkk!! Flashbacks of highschool computer class with a certian Mr. N!!! Forgive my involuntary reactions...

Our first computer was an Apple 2C, and were we kids ever proud of it. Although, I couldn't figure out what earthly use it might have, since it couldn't tell me the answer when I typed in "2x6=" and pressed the "return" button... Weren't computers supposed to know EVERYTHING? It is clear that I certainly didn't, and still don't, come to think of it...