Friday, April 27, 2007

Words for a Friend ...

I found this today in my reading, and thought it would be helpful to a friend in a tough spot:

Self-esteem grows when I love and accept myself as I am. I block my own well-being each time I base my self worth on what I do or what others think of me. If I could please all the people on the earth, if I could "straighten everyone out" and remedy all the difficulties they face, if I could make the world a perfect place - even then, I probably would not feel good about myself. Indeed I would have had to give up all of my "self" to accomplish this impossible task.

I cannot be perfect. I can not make other perfect. Yet I am worthy of love, respect and joy. Let me remind myself each day that I am the child of a perfect Higher Power. That, in itself commands respect - my respect - for the miraculous "self" I have been given. When I hold this at the forefront of my mind, I will not give up my "self" in the course of any endeavour.

As I read this I thought of many people, and many friends, myself included who struggle at times to make these words true ...

So to them - all of them: Take it one day at a time, and know that anything is possible !!

No comments: