Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Today we say farewell to a friend ...

Today we gather to bid a fond farwell to a friend ... she went too soon ... there was too much left for her to do ... Her LadyBugs and all of us together will miss her and her smile, warmth, enthusiasm, and her bright, flamboyant Red Hat ...

And all the places where she touched the lives of others will be lacking something ...

But we couldn't wish her to linger ... she lived her life - ONE DAY AT A TIME, and gave thanks for each day ... There is no better tribute to her and her life than a quotation she shared with many others:

This is a day which God has given into my hands.
If I could only realize what a tremendous gift this is, I would use every moment of it to make my life more serene, more rewarding.
I would not look back over my shoulder at the disappointments of the past – I would not anxiously contemplate the future. I would live – just for today – as well as I can.
I would put aside critical thoughts of others. I would notice interesting things – the expressions on people’s faces, a plant growing on my windowsill, the grace and charm of a child, an arrangement of clouds.
Today there are wonders all around if I will open my eyes and enjoy them.

And today we pray:

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Rest in peace dear friend ... and Thank You.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this verse, it was something I needed to hear--something we all need to hear.

The Serenity Prayer has again come to me at a time when I desperately needed to hear it.
-jodi