Tuesday, April 03, 2007

May you find joy in small, hidden places ...

Today I went to the post office and had one of those tough conversations about life in and around the community ... we spoke of those we knew who were sick and those who know are living with a terminal illness ...

It would have been easy to throw up our hands and despair ... but in the midst of grim news, we spoke of LIFE, in its fullest sense - Life as the Jewish affirmation: L'Chaim !! (To Life) ... we parted with me saying - "Keep your eyes on the horizon and know that the dawn will come"

"I know," my friend said, "but some days it's hard to see it ..."

I stepped back into the bitter cold of the day ... went back to the office to plan and prepare for this week's Holy Week Services, and later picked up the kids and brought them home from school ... As I came into the living room I went to watch the birds out the back window only to be distracted by the tiny perfect oranges hanging on the branches of the orange tree in our living room window ...

Taking the pictures of the oranges, I couldn't help but wonder if perhaps the horizon is sometimes too distant a goal, and instead we need to find the little glimpses of joy and hope and beauty in the unexpected corners of our world ...

I wonder ... but for the moment, a tiny cluster of oranges on a tree sitting in a window sill has brought a smile to my face ... and for the moment, that is more than enough.

L'chaim !!!

(and may my Jewish readers have a Blessed Passover !)

No comments: