Monday, February 05, 2007

Time to Haul Out the Old Mittens ...


Every Christmas when I was a child I got a hand knitted pair of mittens from my paternal grandmother. Each year it was a different pair in a different range of colours, but every pair came in the same funky pattern like pictured above. The colours varied depending on the yarn Grandma had left over from other projects.
I never wore the mittens, but instead tucked them in a drawer and held on to them. They became cherished when Grandma died in the late 80's. Now, as an adult, I still have a drawer of mittens in assorted sizes and colours, all with the same distinctive pattern ... In High School I finally took out a pair of mittens and began wearing them ... (they are the mittens Beetle is modeling above).
I've worn them every winter since ... it has been over 20 years and they are still wearable and still very warm and comfortable ... I hauled them out this morning and wore them for my walk around town ... They kind of clash with my bright red winter parka, but they keep my hands warm ... and they remind me of my Grandma ... Some times comfort is more important than style ...

No comments: