Saturday, January 27, 2007

Definitely & Distinctly Canadian ...

Over at Aerophant, a delightful story about Tai's father being falsely accused of stealing a "Beanie" from a department store, lead me to comment about the PROPER name for such hats ... They are called by those of us north of 49 - TOQUES !!

So, in honour of Tai's Aerophant, and to assist my American Readers in understanding more about their Northern Cousins, I am introducing a new column to my Blog ... Definitely and Distinctly Canadian will be a semi-regular feature here for the next while as I work my way through a variety of Things Canadian ... it will be a listing of any number of items that are, as the name suggests - Definitely and Distinctly Canadian (suggestions will be welcomed).

Today we start with three of my favs:
The toque ... the winter hat of choice in Canada.
Poutine - french fries with cheddar cheese curds and gravy ...
(not good for you - but DELICIOUS !!!)

Smarties ... by far a superior chocolate candy to M&Ms ...

and you must always eat the RED ones last.


3 comments:

Katie Bowen said...

Bring us bacon and The Barenaked Ladies!

Reverend Shawn said...

you jumped the gun on me ...

... now that D&D Canuck Trois has been posted ...

*sigh*

;-)

Katie Bowen said...

I'm sorry Rev., but please post the bacon anyway... that stuff you call Poutiine just doesn't look like a good thing at all!