Saturday, January 13, 2007

A Book to Make you say Hmmm ...

I walked into the Minnedosa Library the other day to return some books and noticed the above book sitting on the shelf by the check out. The cover intrigued me, and so I picked it up and read the back cover and the fly leaf inside ... I then signed it out and took it home. I'm glad I did ... It's a powerful read, and it offers an incredible insight into the presence of psycho-paths in the work force, and perhaps even on the work team we find ourselves part of.


Babiak and Hare, both have published a number of articles and books about psychological disorder in the past, and here bring together some of their past work with the bewildering behaviour of modern business people who are as the title described "Snakes in Suits." I would recommend this book for anyone who has to work with others - it's a good primer on behaviour that is not only destructive, but also pathological. As I read I could add names to some of the case studies they offer - it was with a gasp that I realized that there were times when I had indeed worked with someone who could well be a psychopath ... and some of them I even called friend only to be manipulated, used and discarded as Babiak and Hare describe in painful detail ... As hard as it is to say - these things even happen in the Church ...


This book has much to reflect on ... even more to learn from, and would be well worth the read by anyone in business, or the church, or who just wants to learn more about how to live an ethical life amongst sick and unethical people ... I wish it had come out years ago - it could have saved me a whole whack of grief ...

No comments: