Thursday, January 25, 2007

Animal Spirits and Totems ...

The other day I had a conversation with a friend about animal totems, and animal spirits ... It got me thinking about what my animal totem might be ... It didn't take me long to realize that my animal totem is the Raven ...

In the First Nations traditions, The Raven is the Trickster and one of the Creator beings. Raven is creative, and thoughtful. Raven likes to laugh and play tricks on humanity.

Raven is a blend of opposites:
Raven is always the hero in the mythic tales, but also plays the fool.
Raven is the provider of things like fire and the moon and fish, but also is never above stealing what he needs.
Raven is the provider of light on the West Coast, but also cloaks himself in black so he can hide in the shadows and darkness ...
Raven is central to many of the stories told by First Nations' people ... often he is the giver of gifts, or he is the one who tricks someone else into stealing or releasing the gift hidden away ...

Raven is a creature of mystery and intrigue ... but is playful and knows the value of life and joy ...

Real Ravens are fascinating creatures ... they like to play ... they make noises that can make your hair stand up on end ... and if you hike through the deep, dark and mysterious coastal forests on BC's coast you know that Raven is never far off ... the sounds they utter are frightening, playful and startling (sometimes all at once).

I've always like ravens as birds, and since living in the Coastal Rain Forests of BC amongst the Nuxalkmc, I've come to appreciate Raven as a mythic creature ...

Aside from my propensity to dress in black (I DO look good in black) aside, I have little doubt that my animal totem is the trickster ... The black clothes just helps to seal the deal ...


No comments: