Monday, December 04, 2006

A modern rendition of Matthew 25 ...

I've just finished reading a fabulous book entitled "Where have all the prophets gone?" by Marvin A. McMickle, a Baptist preacher from the US. The book is hyper-critical of the Church, both left and right wings, hyper-critical of The US Government (both Bush and Clinton administrations) and hyper-critical of the lack of action by almost everyone in regards to issues of poverty, justice, disease and the other things that dog humanity.

McMickle wonders where the voices that no so long ago spoke out against a myriad of issues have gone. He notes that the Church writ large has gotten very good at focusing on issues of sexuality and calling it justice, while ignoring a host of other issues. The book is a sobering reminder of the need for preachers and laity alike to balance their faith by looking inwardly at the pastoral concerns of caring for each other, while looking outward by ensuring all of God's children are being cared for and cared about ...

It is simply a very good read, and should be on the reading list and shelves of all preachers, left, right and centrist ... McMickle speaks eloquently about the need to let the Texts speak ...

I posted a quotation from him previously and I would like to end with another that originated in a Poor People's rally in Albuquerque New Mexico. This one is a rendering of Matthew 25 in modern language:

I was hungry
and you formed a humanities club
and you discussed my hunger ...
Thank You.

I was imprisoned
and you crept off quietly
to your cellar chapel
and prayed for my release.

I was sick
and you knelt and thanked God
for your health.

I was homeless
and you preached to me
of the spiritual shelter of the love of God.

I was lonely
and you left me alone
to pray for me.
You seem so holy,
so close to God ...

But I'm still very hungry,
and lonely,
and cold,

So where have your prayers gone?
What have they done?
What does it profit a man
to page through his book of prayers,
when the rest of the world is crying for his help?

No comments: