Saturday, December 16, 2006

The Case for a Clergy Union ...

Maybe it is watching and waiting as Mr Measner defiantly fights for his job at the Canadian Wheat Board (a job he is being threatened to lose because HE has the courage to obey the law and listen to the farmers), or perhaps it is the Gospel Reading for this Sunday, wherein John the Baptist calls those searching him out in the desert, "a Brood of Vipers". But whatever it is, this morning I find myself rethinking my stance on a Union for United Church Clergy ...

I know the practicality of a Union is bordering on impossible given the current goverance structure of the Church, but conversations in recent weeks with numerous colleagues across this United Church of ours, has led me BACK to the point of wondering - "Why not ??"

Afterall it has often been the United Church who has stood alongside Labour Unions in their fights both domestically and Globally for JUSTICE. We espouse noble values - but on the ground level, too many voices amongst my colleagues can speak of abuse, neglect and out-right injustice that has been metted out by the "Church" (whatever that term means ...).

Reading John the Baptist's words this week in preparation for worship tomorrow lead me to the words of one of the ghosts visiting Scrooge in Dickens' A Christmas Carol. When Scrooge said - "But I was a good man of business ..." The Ghosts shrieks back - "MANKIND WAS YOUR BUSINESS!!"

I offer the following statements and happenings, all encountered by clergy within the United Church of Canada as evidence that we have a problem ... our clergy are suffering from a low, low morale, and are feeling used and taken for granted - and there seems to be no one willing to help address these things ... they may be solved only by a hard nosed Union that helps some of the beleagured clergy out there, or perhaps they will be solved when we experience a Scrooge like transformation ... I'd opt for the latter because we are after all is said and done, a Church that embodies and proclaims its certainty of the RESURRECTION ... so perhaps these will spurn someone into action before we get more confrontational:

- The members of the Board were discussing the generous bonuses they had recieved from their respective employers (in excess of $200 to $500 each), then they voted to give each staff person $25 !!

- full and part timers were given the same Christmas bonus once again this year ...

- "It would be nice just to be thanked once in awhile ..."

- "I have seven years of university education, 'X' years of experience, and I'm nothing more than a servant ..."

- "When I asked for a raise this year, I was told - 'You got one last year!' Last year the minimum scale went up, and I went up a category. That was my raise."

- "The attendance is strong. The givings are up. The enthusiasm is high. But the Board is insisting that people aren't happy with my ministry ..."

- "We're very generous in our compensation to you ...(this person is paid minimum salary scale) It doesn't seem very Christian for you to complain ..."

- "My kids want to know why we can't go south for Christmas like the other kids in the Sunday School ..."

- "We can't afford to give you a bonus or a raise this year. The givings are down ..." (This came on the heels of a group coversation by the Board members about where they have been, or where going on their annual vacations - the average trip was proudly touted as costing in excess of $10 000.)

- "I'm working 55 to 60 hours a week, and forgoing days off regularly. Then I'm asked if I'm taking time off for myself and my family, and when I do I get asked why I'm not doing more visiting ..."

- "The only reason we are surviving is because my partner is working full time with a good salary and benefits package ..."

- "I've gone years without a raise. You should too. It's a good Christian stance." (the speaker was an executive making 6 figures!)

The theme in these comments is economic ... but the reality is that often the issues confronting clergy are more than just economic. The deeper issue is the the feelings of being taken for granted, of being over worked and of being forgotten. Such sentiments are being spoken and echoed all over the Church ... The BIGGER problem is that no one wants to name it, because if Rev. Joe Smith says - "this is what happened to me ..." His career and vocation can come screeching to an end. So instead of naming and owning this kind of stuff, he suffers in silence.

We face the dilemma of - "if not me, then who ?? If not now, then when?"

When I read the comments I listed above I could add John's words - "you brood of vipers" as a response to each and everyone of those statements. However, the most disheartening thing in this for me is simply this - most people will read the comments I've listed above and think to themselves - "How dare you??" And direct their anger at me for daring to say it ... (it's a case of killing the messenger)

BUT, in that moment - with that reaction - I understand completely where John was coming from in this week's reading. He stood before a generation of people who had grown soft and complacent. They looked out for, and after themselves, and forgot about living justice in ALL aspects of life. And John rightly called them a "brood of vipers."

Today in the Church we face a crisis. It is largely a crisis of our own making. We've grown complacent, and when we're confronted about it our response is denial and anger ... This Christmas season - if one person reads these comments and says - "Oh oh ..." and does something about it in their community of faith, or even in their community then there is still hope of a Resurrection.

As the Ghost said - "Mankind is MY business ..." And the best place to start is by considering how we treat those around us - beginning with the minister ...

Otherwise, people like me WILL shift to supporting a Union, because we will be left with NO OTHER CHOICE ... I know right now of too many ministers ready to simply walk away because of the kinds of things I've listed above. It needs to be addressed - soon !

As Paul said in our Epistle Reading - "whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is just, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable ..." CLING to these things as you share your faith ... Re-read the comments I've listed above and ask the simple questions:

Are ANY of them true, honourable, just, pleasing or commendable??
Are they reflective of a caring compassionate faith??
Are they something the Church could be proud of??

I leave the answers to you ... I know what I think ...

No comments: