Saturday, November 18, 2006

My name is 'Bond, James Bond' ...


When I was six or seven, I became a little brother through the Big Brothers Agency of Stratford Ontario. I was matched up with a Big Brother who in addition to many things, enjoyed taking me to movies ... Perhaps he was stuck for ideas of how to entertain a 7 year old kid ... but whatever Bill's motivation, he exposed me to the joys of the cinema.

We went to many good films ... many bad films ... and many mediocre films ... It seemed like every Friday night we would go to the Vogue Theatre that once stood on Ontario St in Stratford, and we would take in whatever film was showing ... Bill even took me to the very first Star Wars (I remember sitting in the very front row watching the words scroll UP the screen - it was awesome) ...

But tonight I recalled my first experience with the James Bond franchise. Bill took me to see the mediocre "The Spy Who Loved Me," starring Roger Moore as James Bond. The movie impressed me, and in time I would watch ALL of the James Bond films save the most recent ones ... I was hooked ... On TV, Video or even the BIG screen - I have watched Sean, Roger, George, Timothy and Pierce as Bond, and I've enjoyed every episode ... Tonight, 12 year old Noahkila began his own journey with Bond ... He went to the Library and took out Dr No and Diamonds are Forever (good choices) and we have camped out in front of the tv enjoying the Premier Bond - Sean Connery.

Now Noahkila is dropping NOT so subtle hints that he would really like to see the latest Bond flick at the theatre ... and he is quoting Bond, James Bond:

"Shaken, not stirrred ..."
"No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die !!"
and "Good bye Mr Bond."

There are moments in time I stand amazed at how straight that apple dropped when it fell out of the tree ... tonight is one of them ...

No comments: