Thursday, November 02, 2006

A Memory that Made me Smile...


As I wrote the previous blog and recalled the words of The Song My Way, but none other than THE Chairman of the Board, I also recalled the time I bought my first CD of Frank's music ...

I was called on to preside at the funeral of a retired UCC minister ... Jack was quite a man. He cut a wide swath in his ministry, in the church and in his life. He was a force to be reckoned with. Jack delighted in locking horns with anyone foolish enough to tangle with him.

He worked tirelessly for his family, for the people he served, for the church and for Justice - and one day he simply walked away from Parish ministry when the Congregation he served couldn't see how bad the housing he and his family were being asked to live in truly was ... the mould on the walls was a bit much for him, and when the Board Chair saw nothing wrong with it - Jack walked away and never looked back ...

I have to confess, Jack was and remains one of my heroes in ministry ...

At his funeral his wife and daughters said - 'there is only ONE song we can use to summarize Dad' ... So as we took the earthly remains out of the Chapel, it was the indomintable voice of Sinatra warbled over the speakers as another indomintable spirit was commended into God's keeping ... Sometimes we just have to have the courage to do things our own way ...

And now, the end is near;
And so I face the final curtain.
My friend, I'll say it clear,
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain.
I've lived a life thats full.
I've traveled each and ev'ry highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way

amen !!!

No comments: