Wednesday, October 25, 2006

One the Road ... Day Three ...


And so my final leg begins ... I spent the night in Dryden ... Wawa to Dryden in about 11 hours ... with a stops along the way, including one stop at the memorial to Terry Fox ...

The weather for the first hour out of Wawa was cloudy, but the snow was localized to the Wawa area ... then by Thunder Bay the sun came out ... and for the drive from there to Dryden it was cloudy but nice ... Not the rain and snow I had anticipated with dread ...

Today it is supposed to be much of the same ...

Looking back, it has been a good drive ... I've listened to lots of good music, some outrageous comedy, some CBC broadcasts, and I've had time to just chill ... The scenery across Northern Ontario is stunning - I can see why the Group of Seven spent so much time there. Each bend in the road was a visual treat ... At one point yesterday the view of Lake Superior offered as the road crested a hill looking out across the steely grey water was simply STUNNING. It may take hours and hours and hours to cross Northern Ontario - but it is a beautiful drive ...

In the coming days I will share some of the strange stuff I've passed in my travels to and fro ... but for now ... I'll just leave you with the thoughts of beautiful scenery along the way ... Too often we want to rush our way across the vast distances of our country, but in do that we forget it has been those vast differences that have helped define who we are ... We are a big country, and there is more to us than the urban centres and periodically it is a good things to remind ourselves of that ...

1 comment:

Gord said...

Of course, had you come the Southern route we could have had a visit...
But that would have added time to the overall drive too.
Get home safe!