Saturday, October 21, 2006

Coming Home ...


It has been a busy week … it has been a good week …
I’ve been cleaning at mom’s … I’ve been catching up with friends … I’ve been roaming Stratford and getting acquainted with a place I haven’t spent much time since I graduated from High School almost 20 years ago …

It’s funny – life is so much like a river – it’s there – it’s moving and flowing – but from moment to moment it is NEVER the same river … the water has moved – the trees and shrubs have grown – the scenery has altered … and so too is it with life. You can return to the house where you were raised (they always seem smaller then you remember them don’t they?) and you can go to all the places you used to hang out – but even though they seem the same – they aren’t … Time has passed, things have changed, the water of life has flowed on …

This week I’ve spent time returning to the places of my childhood and youth … It’s been good … but it’s made me realize how things continue to change …

I’ve caught up with a friend I grew up with, and who used to play road hockey, sand lot baseball, bardies, hot wheels and everything else that was part of growing up in our neighbourhood. We haven’t had a chance to sit down and talk since my days in University. It was good to get caught up with Karen … we laughed, we wiped away some tears, we reminisced and we had fun …

I had coffee with one of my supervisors from my student days, moving through process. Now nearing retirement, a grandfather and not looking a whole lot different then when I saw him last 14 years ago – Barrie and I had a good time getting caught up … His eldest daughter is the manager of the Bistro/Hotel where I’ve been doing my internet stuff – don’t ask me how I recognized her after 14 years – but I did … and because of that Christine put me in touch with Dad and Dad and I met to get caught up on life …

Today I pack the van – continue cleaning and get ready to go … Maybe tomorrow – maybe Monday … It will depend on how long it takes me to get the stuff done I need to do …

Over all though, it’s been a good trip … a good time … Time was rushed and a bit too short – but with three days of driving at either end, a two week holiday doesn’t last long … I’ll have to try and come back next year maybe and do it all over again …

You can’t go “home” again – but you can stop by for a visit from time to time and get caught up on the changes …

… Life flows on, and sometimes the best things we can do it simply enjoy the ride …

No comments: