Wednesday, June 07, 2006

What Shall We Do to Today ???

One of the programmes my kids watch has a little ditty wherein one of the characters sings the song: "What shall we do today? What shall we do today??"

Today, that has become my mantra ... "what shall I do today?"

Time has become something that has not "hurry up and go" tone about it ... The only constraints on my time right now are ensuring my kids are ready for school and sports activities and that they get out the door when they need to ... Otherwise, I have before me a day will with nothing but limitless potential ... No pressing appointment, no commitments, no deadlines ...

The workaholic in me is having a hard time with this boundless possibility thing ... but the rest of me is actually enjoying it ...

If I want to have a nap - I can.
If I want to read for an hour - I can.
If I want to go and have coffee at Chipperfields - I can.
If I want to mow the lawn - I can.
If I want to sleep in the hammock in the front yard - I can.
If I want to ride my bike out around the dam - I can.

Time is a space to be filled with ... well, whatever ... No pressures, no constraints, no limitations.

I'm mindful of a Hindi poem I encountered in high school (I have to recall it from memory because the original is in my office and I'm not) ... it goes something like:

to walk with God,
no strength is lost,
walk on

to talk with God,
no breath is lost,
talk on,

to wait on God,
no time is lost,
wait on ...

Like Elijah in the cave - God is that still, small, quiet whisper that we can hear only when we slow down enough to wait ... slow down enough to quieten our souls ... slow down enough to enter a place of Holiness where we find God on God's terms not ours ...

My time of Sabboth is less then a week old but already I'm finding the gift of time a positive thing ...

... meanwhile I'll just sit here and enjoy the prarie sunshine and let the wind blow where it needs to ... and all the rest is up to God ...

dayenu

No comments: