Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Dad's Day ...


As I write this, the kids are in bed ... and the day is coming to and end, but I have had a fabulous Father's Day to reflect back upon ...

To the left, is a picture of my dad - Constable Samuel Ankenmann, who died on duty in the early morning hours of June 29th 1968, in a vehicle accident while on duty with the Ontario Provincial Police.

I never had the honour of knowing my dad ... he died when I was an infant. But on a day like today, I hope I can be the kind of dad I know he was ... My brother and I were important to him ... and we missed alot losing him so early in our lives.

I think of dad alot this time of year. I wonder what he would have been like today ... I wonder what he would have been like as a dad ... I wonder if he would enjoy his three grandchildren as much as I do as their dad ... I also wonder what Father's Days would have been like with him ...

I know he would have earned a Father's Day like the one I enjoyed today ...

The day started a tad early with the middle child coming into our room and dropping her present on my chest ... I was still sleeping at the time ... "Happy Father's Day, Dad." She announced ... I opened one eye and asked in reply - "what part of Father's Day don't you understand??"

Dad wanted to sleep in ... But instead he opened a lovely card (handmade) and a terrific present ... a homemade (or school made) pencil holder and a Corner Gas travel mug !!!

Hannah then set off and brought her sister and brother into the room to present their respective gifts ... She stood on the steps and called her siblings by saying: "Attention Ankenmann children. It is Father's Day and the father may be presented with his gifts" (I didn't think we were THAT big on formality in our home ... clearly I am delusional). By the end of the presentations I had a new cap, and two new shirts (I have been rewarded with three - count 'em: three wonderful one of a kind tee-shirts created by each of our children in turn, under the extraordinary tutelage of Grade One Teacher Joan McKenzie - each year Joan has her class make tee-shirts for Father's Day - and so I have three beautiful creations to wear and be proud of - Thanks Joan !!) and two more delightful and beautiful cards ... One of them said - "to the world's best dad ..."

Now, I know that countless dad's have been presented with similar cards today, and in each case it is a true statement ... so I don't want to sound cliche'que but it is easy to be the world's best dad when you have the world's best kids ...

My three kids are simply terrific. There are moments I don't like what they've done. I probably yell at them too much. I probably don't tell them "I love you" nearly enough ... but through it all, they have been terrific kids.

I love my children, and I love to see them smile and laugh and simply enjoy life ... and today we did that ... After going to Church we had lunch then drove up to Riding Mountain National Park for a bike excursion along the Lake ... we spent the day pedaling throughout Wasagaming's town site and along Clear Lake. We hiked, stopped for dinner and had a play in the playground ... then headed home for ice cream cones at Chipperfield's Coffee Shop ... all in all it was a fabulous day spent with the four most important people in my life: Mag, Sam, Hannah and Rebekkah ...

What more could a father want??

I hope all of you had a Happy Father's Day too, and just enjoyed the day reflecting on the gift of love that comes from one generation to another ...

I never knew my dad, but I've had many fatherly figures in my life and today I'm thankful for them ... MY Grandpa Elliot, my uncles: Drake, Ame, Walt, Cam, Brian, John, and Bruce, my surrogate Grandfathers like Grandpa Petersen, the ministers in my life like Wes, Ross and Bob, and the fathers of my friends and the men in our neighbourhood who were simply there: Laverne, Bill (my Big Brother), Ed, and in more recent years fine gentleman like Grandpa Norm, Jack, Charlie, Jim, Bud, Elgin and gruff Bob (there are others I'll think of later - mea culpa) - all of them have provided me with fatherly advice and support and care - and for that I am, and will be for many years: very, very grateful.

Happy Father's Day to all those lives that have been fatherly influences on me, and on my relationship with my children ... thanks to the many Father's in my life, I can claim the title - "world's best dad" today and wear it proudly ... wanna see the tee-shirts I have to prove it????

shalom,

No comments: