Saturday, April 15, 2006

A good Good Friday Service ...

Tonight I was feeling disconnected and unsettled ... something about the community Good Friday Service didn't speak to me or where I am at as we move through the Holy Week observatons.

Today we joined with the other Protestant Churches in Minnedosa to observe Good Friday ... it was a nice service, but it wasn't what I need, or what I am comfortable with ... Through the afternoon I called my colleague and friend Rev. Barb Jardine, who serves the Forrest Douglas Pastoral Charge south of us ... we were chit chatting about stuff and she mentioned the evening service she was holding in Forrest ... I decided it was worth the drive to take in Barb's service.

Tonight, I'm glad I did ... Barb combined the readings of the Passion from Mark with music, hymns and the extinguishing of candles ... it was beautiful. It was precisely what I needed to get ready for Easter Sunday ...

SO, thanks Barb. Thanks to the folks at Forrest for a wonderful service and a time of reflection. It truly was a good Good Friday service ... It told the story of the Passion and called us to journey into the uncertainty that the disciples felt as they watched the dying and spent the next two days fearing for their lives until ...

... well, the next step can wait ... this part of Holy Week is about waiting, not jumping to the Hallelujahs ... and tonight I've been able to do that ... thanks to a little community and a very capable and competent minister who often serves as the pastor's pastor while she leads them in a powerful ministry of presence and prayer ...

dayenu

No comments: