Thursday, April 20, 2006

Gathering with the Greater Church ...

Today was a meeting of Assiniboine Presbytery ... the regional court of the United Church that stretches from Minnedosa west to Russell, and south to the US Border and encompasses all of the United Church communities within that vast territory ... it is peopled and staffed by a diverse group of people ...

Our meetings last all day - they begin in the morning with worship, involve a lunch, and wrap up in time for most of us to be home for supper. Today's meeting happened in Kenton, in the Legion/community hall. The lunch was a roast beef feast and was superb, though it left out the vegetarians (so much for a fully inclusive church).

It was awesome to gather and to be able to laugh, and play and pray together. It has been a long time since I've felt good about Presbytery meetings, but today I came away refreshed and somewhat inspired ... The gathering of our Presbytery at times is onerous, but today wasn't one of those times...

When we gather we are reminded over and over that what affects one of us, affects all of us ... today we noted the challenges of a colleague who is awaiting test results on health concerns (we offered her up in prayer and joined with her and her family and circle of friends seeking wholeness and healing, while entrusting her to God's care) ... we celebrated the achievements of Brandon Hills United Church who are nearing the beginning stages of rebuilding their sanctuary that was lost to arson two years ago ... we cheered the renovations and pending anniversary of our sisters and brothers at Knox United in Brandon ... and we delighted in hearing the status of the redevelopment/rebuilding project at Killarney United Church ... and we of Minnedosa were able to share the stages on our journey so far ...

It was our turn to lead worship, so we brought with us the banners that were gifted to us from our sister congregations in Winnipeg (the banners that we are currently able to share with our sisters and brothers at the Catholic Church). We hung them in the sanctuary at Kenton United Church, and our reflection time in the worship service involved sharing what the banners are and where they come from. When then spoke of the Lenten journey that takes us through the darkness to the light of Easter Morning.

This year the Lenten Journey for Minnedosa began early, and in some ways continues ... But today I was able to reflect on the many ways in which the greater Church has been able to reach out and offer us guidance and support ... I likened the experience to that of Thomas in this week's lectionary readings ... as I write this, I am in a place that Thomas knew well - a place of doubt, a place of uncertainty, a place of profound aloneness ...

I do not doubt that the Resurrection has happened, and I do not doubt that the Resurrection will happen for the folks of Minnedosa ... today I can't hear, nor feel the call ... today, for the first time in my ministry I'm not sure the road ahead for me is one that leads me on in ministry within the Church ...

Outside the court, a wise colleague and friend, who has been down many roads and has been an inspiration to me and many others listened and offered her prayers and her sage wisdom ... "listen carefully," she said, "maybe you're being called elsewhere, that's okay ..."

Like Thomas I stand bewildered, exhausted and uncertain ... I yearn to place my hand "just here" and to feel the surge of the Risen One again flow through me ... Like the disciples gathered in the upper room that night, the way ahead is blurry and unclear ... the dominant emotion is sadness and apprehension ... the atmosphere is tense ... something needs to happen ... Today, I just don't know what that will be ... there is no room for ego in this moment, there is room only for discerning the call of the Spirit ...

The only question I have right now is simply this: "when will I again hear the call of the Spirit??"

tonight, even dayenu, isn't enough ...

No comments: